Re: Exchange of mail on Test benches and benchmark requireme

Scott,

Since there will be a lot of variability to the DFT applied to an RTL design, I
would suggest that for all RTL designs we have a specific gate-level design
with DFT already applied (i.e. scan of some sort has been inserted).  This will
allow comparison of the back-end tools.  It will also be a good basis on which
to compare other DFT results.  Those that want to compare DFT results can,
while those who prefer to focus on the ATPG and/or fault simulation results can
do so as well.

Regarding a desire to see RT level ATPG/Fault Simulation, this may conflict
with also trying to model real defects which will very likely depend upon the
cell library that is used to map the design.  Faulting cell library members'
I/O pins seems to be a typical approach used in the industry, but it doesn't
work well with larger cells.  It took us many years to finally model latches
with a single primitive in IBM because we would lose the ability to fault the
inside of the latches (feed-back loops and special port designs).  There is
still the possibility of using a combination of high-level (RTL) design data in
combination with gate-level to allow more realistic fault models along with
higher performance.

Brion Keller
Sr. Software Engineer
TestBench Architecture