Re: Exchange of mail on Test benches and benchmark requirements

> From: Franc Brglez <brglez@zodiac.cbl.ncsu.edu>

> I have been short on bandwidth for the last few weeks and apologize if I am
> repeating any of the suggestions below:
>
> -- it would be useful to have a web-based archival site of all such
> correspondence. An example of how such a site (with a search engine) and
> threaded index may look like, see (and try out) under
>       http://www.cbl.ncsu.edu/DiscussionGroups/A-GuestUser-Test-Forum/

I am setting up a website for the benchmarks, which will include
a mail archive.  Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at
this site.  The site will be hosted by UT Austin, thanks to the good
graces of Jacob Abraham.  However, I expect you have benchmark distribution
facilities better than anyone else.  Could we make use of those?

I'll only be at DAC Monday.  Who would be interested in attending a
meeting at ITC?  I'll set one up - and I think we can get it announced at the
plenary.

> -- there may be still time to set up a meeting at DAC -- I am away from
> e-mail next week, but Scott may come up with something .... see me at
> Univ-Booth 11-1pm each day, the 6-university team project (as per 1998 June
> IEEE spectrum article gives some hints of things to be seen) -- for foils
> under construction, see
>     http://www.cbl.ncsu.edu/publications_misc/1998--Talk-DACdemo/

<snip>

> Here we see that TWC (total wire crossing) in 100 instances of ISOMORHIC
> circuit c1355, can vary -- when placed by the same tool -- from 2293 to
> 4378!!
>
> You should expect similar variations in "test length" when you give the
> tool 100 identical netlists and fault lists in different order!!! For more
> details on the "design of experiments", see my draft tutorial report,
> entitled "Design of Experiments to Evaluate CAD Algorithms: Which
> Improvements Are Due to Improved Heuristic and Which Are Merely Due to
> Chance?", accessible under
>       http://www.cbl.ncsu.edu/publications/#1998-TR@CBL-04-Brglez

Actually, some ATPG tools manipulate fault list ordering in order to
reduce test length and run time.  It's one of those tricks that could possibly
use some rigor.

Scott Davidson
Sun Microsystems
scott.davidson@eng.sun.com