Re: Exchange of mail on Test benches and benchmark requirements

> From: Rainer Dorsch <rainer@rainer.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
>
> > Perhaps everyone submitting a circuit could also submit a form like this:
> >

> >            RTL            |  Netlist               |  Library
> > Design    VHDL | Verilog  | Verilog | EDIF | VHDL  | Verilog | Bench | Prop.
> >

> > With checkmarks if the circuit were available in the particular format.
> > As time goes on, we could get more boxes filled in, as we got people to do
> > translations, as Gordon suggests.  I definitely agree that for the first pass we
> > do not need all the boxes checked.
> >

> As a user, I need to read one of the file formats and build a graph-like data
> structures in RAM. From my point of view, it would be much easier to use a
> library which already can read one of these formats and build this data
> structure (except I need a very special structure for my algorithm to work
> efficient).
>
> If such a library would be provided, I guess 80% of the tools would build on
> this data structure and linking two tools together would be much easier. It is
> somewhat offtopic, but if filters are created, this would be only little more
> work and the tools would be much more comparable and _compatible_.
>
> Maybe there is already something like this and I do not know it.

I perhaps was not clear on the definition of library.  I mean a library giving the
definition of the primitives used in the design - basically a cell library.  It sounds
like you are describing a design database/framework.   I quite agree that it would be
nice to have compatible tools, but I don't even hear anything about the CAD Framework
Initiative anymore.

Given that you will need to write a translator/filter, which of the commerically
available formats works best for you?

Thanks,

Scott

> --
> Rainer Dorsch
> Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
> Uni Stuttgart            Tel.: 0711-7816-215

Scott Davidson
Sun Microsystems
scott.davidson@eng.sun.com